1) Wasim Hanif, Kamlesh Khunti, Srikanth Bellary, Harni Bharaj, M A Karamat, Vinod Patel, Kiran Patel on Behalf of South Asian Health Foundation Diabetes Working Group.
Type 2 Diabetes in UK South Asian Population: An update from South Asian Health Foundation 2014. Diabetes Digest 2014
2) Sarah Ali, Melanie J Davies, Laura J Gray, Jolyon Dales, Emer M Brady, Kamlesh Khunti, Wasim Hanif. Managing Diabetes in Ramadan. Submitted Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology 2014
3) Laura J Gray, Jolyon Dales, Emer M Brady, Kamlesh Khunti, Wasim Hanif, Melanie J Davies. The safety and effectiveness of non-insulin glucose lowering agents in the treatment of people with Type 2 Diabetes who observe Ramadan: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Submitted Diabetes Care 2014
4) Brady EM, Davie MJ, Saeed MA, Smith D, Hanif W, Khunti K. A Randomised Control Trial Comparing the GLP-1 receptor analogue Liraglutide to a Sulphonylurea as add on to Metformin in Patients with Established Type 2 Diabetes during Ramadan: The Treat 4 Ramadan Trial. Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism 2014 /dom.12249/9
5) Wasim Hanif, Mohamed Hassanain, Ali Kamal, Parnia Geransar, Chris Andrews, Mohamed Azam and Anthony Barnett. Improved treatment adherence with Vildagliptin than Sulphonylureas as add-on to Metformin in Muslim Patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus fasting during Ramadan. Current Medical Research and Opinion. Curr Med Res Opin. 2013 Jul; 29(7):807-11.
6) Barnett AH, Bryce R, Hanif W, James J, Langerman H. Hypoglycemia Review-Increasing Awareness of Hypoglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes. CMRO 2013
7) Zana Ameen, Vinod Patel, Wasim Hanif, Mini Mangat, Sudhesh Kumar. South Asian Specialist Input clinics for South Asian patients with diabetes outcome study. 2013 Under Preparation
8) Muhammad A Karamat, Ateeq Syed & Wasim Hanif Review of Diabetes Management and Guidelines during Ramadan. Journal of Royal Society of Medicine. J R Soc Med 2010, 103: 139-147.
9) Wasim Hanif, Mohamed Hassnain, Waqar Malik, Ali Kamal, A H Barnett Comparison of Dipeptidyl peptidase 4 inhibitor Vildagliptin and the sulphonylurea Glicalazide in combination with Metformin in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes fasting during month of Ramadan: results of the VECTOR study. CMRO 2011 : 27 no 7 , 1367-1374.
10) Wasim Hanif, Ali Kamal, Waqar Malik, Anthony H Barnett How to support a patient with type 2 diabetes who is determined to undertake a period of religious fasting. Diabetes Management 2011: 1 (5): 467-469.
11) Kumar S, Hanif W, Zaman J, Sattar N, Patel K, et al. Lower thresholds for diagnosis and management of obesity in British South Asians. Int J Clin Pract 2011: 65(4): 375-85.
12) Srikanth Bellary, J.P. O’Hare, Neil T Raymond, Shanaz Mughal, Wasim M Hanif, Alan Jones, Sudesh Kumar & Anthony H Barnett on behalf of UKADS Group. Premature Cardiovascular events in South Asians with type 2 diabetes in the United Kingdom Asian Diabetes Study-effect of ethnicity on risk. CMRO 2010;26:1873-79.
13) Elaine Hui, Vassiliki Bravis, Mohamed Hassanein, Wasim Hanif, Rayaz Malik. Tahseen Chowdury, Mohamed Suliman, and Devasenan Devendra. Managing the diabetic patient during Ramadan. BMJ 2010, 340:1407-1411.
14) Hanif W, Patel V, and Kumar S. Treatment and Care of People with Diabetes. Diabetes UK Publication ISBN 978-1-899288-88-5. 2009 pages 70-75.
15) Hanif W and Karamat MA. Cultural Aspect in Diabetes. Diabetes UK Publication ISBN 978-1-899288-88-5. 2009 Pages 27-35.
16) Hanif MW, Al-Daghri NM, Chetty R, Barnett AH, Kumar S. Relationship of serum adiponectin and resistin to glucose intolerance and fat topography in South-Asian. Cardiovascular Diabetology 2006, 5:10 (2 May 2006)
17) Hanif, MW. Tica V. Andersson A. Valsamakis G. Barnett AH. Kumar S. Sanjeevi CB. Frequency of latent autoimmune diabetes in adults in Asian patients diagnosed as type 2 diabetes in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1005:356-8, 2003 Nov.
18) Hanif MW, Valsamakis G, Dixon A, Boutsiadis A, Jones AF, Barnett AH, Kumar S. Detection of glucose intolerance and undiagnosed type 2 diabetes in UK South-Asians: an effective screening strategy. Diabetes Obesity & Metabolism 10: 755-762, 2008.
19) Dixon AN, Valsamakis G, Hanif MW, Boutsiadis A, Harte A, McTernan PG, Barnett AH, Kumar S. Effect of orlistat on serum endotoxin lipopolysaccharide and adipocytokines in South-Asian individuals with impaired glucose tolerance. Int J Clin Practice. July 2008: 62 (7): 1124-1129
20)Bellary S, J Po’Hare et al on behalf of UKADS Study Group. Enhanced diabetes care to patients of South-Asian ethnic origin (United Kingdom Asian Diabetes Study): a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet May 2008: 371: 1769-1776.
21) Fisher M, Trujillo ME, Hanif W, Barnett AH, McTernan PG, Scherer PE and Kumar S. Serum high molecular weight complex of adiponectin correlates better with glucose tolerance than total serum adiponectin in Indo-Asian males. Diabetologia 2005; 48(6):1084-1087.
22) O'Hare JP, Raymond NT, Mughal S, Dodd L, Hanif W, Ahmad Y, et al. Evaluation of delivery of enhanced diabetes care to patients of South Asian ethnicity: the United Kingdom Asian Diabetes Study (UKADS). Diabet Med 2004;21(12):1357-65.
23) Hanif W Editorial on Fasting and Feasting in South Asians. Geriatric Medicine 2006: 36(9) 2
24) Davies M, Durrington P, Hanif W, Morrell J, Mughal S, Mehrali T, Barnett AH and Shepherd J, Lipid treatment strategies for metabolic syndrome in established cardiovascular disease: a consensus guideline. Practical Diabetes International 2006; 23(2): 78-85
25) Hanif MW. Diabetes in South- Asians Editorial: National Library for NHS as part of National Knowledge for Diabetes. 2007
26) Hanif MW. Obesity in South- Asians Editorial: National Library for NHS as part of National Knowledge for Diabetes. 2008
27) Hanif MW, Mughal S, Valsamakis G, Jones AF, Raymond NT, O’Hare JP, Asians : Effects of a diabetes Nurse led Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Programme. Submitted under Review European Journal for Cardiovascular disease and Rehabilitation.
28) Barnett AH, Dixon AN, Bellary S, Hanif MW, O'Hare J P, Raymond NT, et al. Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular risk in the UK south Asian community. Diabetologia 2006;49(10):2234-46.
29) Valsamakis G, McTernan PG, Chetty R, Al Daghri N, Field A, Hanif W*, Barnett AH, Kumar S*. Modest weight loss and reduction in waist circumference after medical treatment are associated with favourable changes in serum adipocytokines. Metabolism 2004;53(4):430-4
30) Hanif W. Preventing type 2 diabetes: Have we the evidence ? Editorial . Modern Diabetes Management 2002;3 (4): 1
31) Hanif MW, Kumar S. Pharmacological management of obesity. Expert opinion of Pharmacotherapy 2002;3(12): 1711-18
32) Hanif MW, Kumar S. How important is post-prandial hyperglycaemia? Cardiabetes 2002; 2 (2): 18-22.
33) Hanif MW, Kumar S. Nateglinide a new rapid acting insulinotropic agent. Expert opinion of Pharmacotherapy 2001;2(6): 1027-10
34) Melanie J Davies, Emer M Brady, Laura, J Gray, Mujahid Saeed, Wasim Hanif, Kamlesh Khunti. Treat 4 Ramadan: A Randomised Control trial Comparing Liraglutide vs a Sulphonylurea as Add-on to Metformin in Patients with established Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes, June 2013, Vol 62 Suppl 1. A661
35) Higenbottam C, Verma M, Butt K, Collins D, Williams L, Hanif MW. A retrospective audit of the NICE UK guidelines on initiation, continuation and effectiveness of liraglutide in type 2 diabetes patients in South Birmingham. Diabetic Medicine, Dec 2011 Vol 28, Suppl 1.
36) Saraf S, Lad K, Pettitt S, Vollands C, Ghosh S, Webber J, Gough S, Hanif W. An audit of outcomes from Diabetes Intermediary Clinics in South Birmingham PCT. Diabetic Medicine, Dec March 2010,Vol 27, Suppl 1.
37) MA Karamat, D Mistry, S Mir, Hanif MW. Patient Knowledge Survey among patients with Type 2 diabetes: difference between Caucasians and South Asians. Diabetic Medicine, March 2009 Vol 26, supp 1.
38) U Y Raja, C Vollands, D Collins, S Khan, W Hanif and S Gough. An audit on efficacy of GLP 1 agonist with insulin in community setting. 7th National conference Primary Care Diabetes Society, Birmingham, 2011.
39) Hanif MW, Raymond N, Jones A, Mughal S, Kumar S and Barnett AH. Current Coronary heart disease risk engines under-estimate risk in UK South-Asians. Diabetic Medicine 2006; 23(suppl 4): 353.
40) Collings F, Betnall A, Kulambilpadinjakara RN, Hall A, Ghosh S, Hanif MW and Gough SC. Impact of estimated glomerular filtration rate on metformin use in diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 2007: 24 (suppl 1): 113.
41) Waqar Malik, Wasim Hanif, Mohamed Hassanein, Ali Kamal, Parnia Geransar, Nicola Lester, Chris Andrews and Anthony Barnett. Vildagliptin treatment resulted in no hypoglycemia in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes during Ramadan. 7th National conference Primary Care Diabetes Society, Birmingham, 2011.
42) Wasim Hanif, Waqar Malik, Mohamed Hassanein, Ali Kamal, Parnia Geransar, Nicola Lester, Chris Andrews and Anthony Barnett. Fewer Missed doses with Vildagliptin than a Sulphonylurea as add-on to Metformin among UK Muslims with Type 2 diabetes fasting during Ramadan. 7th National conference of Primary Care Diabetes Society, Birmingham, 2011.
43) W. Hanif, W. Malik, M. Hassanein, A. Kamal, P. Gernasar, N. Lister, C. Andrews and A.H. Barnett. Better adherence with Vildagliptin add-on to Metformin among Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus fasting during Ramadan. Poster 839, presented at 47th European Association of Study of Diabetes Conference, Lisbon 2011.
44) M. Hassanein, W. Malik, W. Hanif, A. Kamal, P. Geransar, N, Lister, C. Andrews and A. Barnett. Fewer missed doses with Vildagliptin than a Sulphonylurea as add-on to Metformin among UK Muslims with Type 2 diabetes fasting during Ramadan. Poster 1319, presented at World Diabetes Congress, Dubai, 2011.
45) W. Malik, M. Hassanein, W. Hanif, A. Kamal, P. Geransar, N, Lister, C. Andrews and A. Barnett. Vildagliptin treatment resulted in no Hypoglycemia in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes in Ramadan. American Diabetes Association 71st Session San Diego, June 2011, Diabetes Care, 2011.
46) Dixon AN, Bellary S, Rahim A, Hanif W, Baker AR, Creely S, McTernan PG, Barnett AH and Kumar S. In South-Asians with impaired glucose tolerance sub-clinical inflammation is reduced and adiponectin levels are increased by weight loss with orlistat. Diabetic Medicine 2006; 23 (suppl 2): 45.
47) Hanif MW, Valsamakis G, Dixon A, Jones AF, Barnett A and Kumar S. An effective community based screening programme for diagnosing diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in UK South-Asians. Diabetic Medicine 2006; 23(suppl 4): 386
48) Hanif MW, Al-Daghri N, Chetty R, Mcternan P and Kumar S. The serum Adiponectin: resistin and relation to glucose intolerance and fat topography in UK South-Asians. Diabetic Medicine 2006; 23(suppl 4):478
49) Hanif MW, Valsamakis G, Jones AF, Barnett AH and Kumar S. A highly efficient strategy for detection of impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes in British Indo Asians. Diabetes 2003 A 262.
50) Valsamakis G, Chetty R, Anwar A, McTernan PG, Hanif W, Banerjee A, Barnett AH, Kumar S. Association of simple anthropometric measures of obesity with MRI-assessed visceral fat and the metabolic syndrome. IDF Paris 24-29 August 2003
51) Valsmakis G, McTernan P, Chetty R, Hanif W and Kumar S. Modest weight loss with sibutramine is associated with rise of adiponectin and decrease of resistin and CRP. Poster P3-456 presented at American Endocrine Society meeting in Philadelphia between 19-22 June 2003
52) Hanif W, Valsamakias G, Barnett AH, Kumar S. Comparing WHO and ADA criteria for diagnosing pre diabetes and diabetes in British Indo-Asians. Diabetic Medicine 2003; 20(S2) 66. Poster 123 at Annual Professional conference of Diabetes UK held at Glasgow 19-21 March 2003.
53) O’Hare JP, Raymond NT, Mughal S, Dodd L, Kumar S, Jones A, Hillhouse EW, Hanif W and Barentt AH. Blood pressure and cholesterol outcomes improved but not HbA1c: United Kingdom Asian Diabetes study (UKADS) results after 1 year. Diabetic Medicine 2003; 20 (S2) 99.
54) Raymond NT, O’Hare JP, Mughal S, Dodd L, Kumar S, Jones A, Hillhouse E, Hanif W, Barnett AH. Microalbuminuria and blood pressure: early results from United Kingdom Asian Diabetes Study. Diabetologia 2002;45 (Sup 2): A-362.
55) Hanif MW, Kumar S, O’Hare P, Jones AF, Mughal S, Dodd L, Hillhouse E, Barnett AH. Obesity is highly prevalent in Indo-Asian type 2 diabetics and increases risk of metabolic syndrome. Diabetic Medicine 2002; 19 (supp 2): 33. Poster 24 at Annual Professional conference of Diabetes UK held at Birmingham 13-15 March 2002.
56) Hanif MW, Jones AF, Kumar S, O’Hare P, Mughal S, Dodd L, Hillhouse E, Barnett AH. Ethnic differences in risk factor for coronary heart disease in type 2 diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 2002; 19 (supp 2): 33-34. Poster 25 at Annual Professional conference of Diabetes UK held at Birmingham 13-15 March 2002.
57) Hanif MW, A Suliman, A O Keeffe, T Smith, T. Fiad & T J Mckenna. Low and standard dose ACTH and metyrapone tests in the assessment of hypothalamic – pituitary – adrenal axis. Journal of Endocrinology 2000; 164: 277.